Where Else Can I Go if ULS Can't Help Me?

EMERGENCY - If you are being threatened with death or bodily harm or injury, seek safety immediately and call 911 from any phone.

Utah State Bar Resources

Court Resources

The Utah State Courts put together a short video of pointers located here for presenting your case. The video focuses on the juvenile court and contains some information that is relevant only for lawyers. However, most of the points are universal.

In addition, the Utah State Courts have many resources that may help you.  These are located at www.utcourts.gov.  Some of the most popular are:

American Bar Association Resources

  • Free Legal Answers: Free Legal Answers is a free virtual legal advice clinic.  Qualified users post their legal question, and volunteer attorneys respond with legal information and advice.

Non-Legal Resources

2-1-1 Logo

If you need immediate assistance with housing, food, free clinics, mental health services or other community services call 2-1-1 or online at 211utah.org/.


For Assistance with Food 

Find a food pantry in your area by going to https://www.utahfoodbank.org/find-a-pantry/.

Apply for food stamps, https://jobs.utah.gov/customereducation/services/foodstamps/.

For Domestic Violence

If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, help is available. You can visit this webpage, https://udvc.org/resources/,  or call 800-897-LINK (5465) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a referral to an agency that can best serve you.

Help With Rent or Utility Payments  

United Way 2-1-1: This agency has a large directory of community partners who may be able to help you pay these bills. There are many ways to reach United Way 2-1-1. In addition to dialing 2-1-1, you can text, email, chat via instant message or download a mobile app. Click here for complete contact information https://211utah.org/index.php. You can also search the 2-1-1 website by clicking here, United Way 2-1-1 Housing and Utilities .

Mortgage Assistance: For residents in certain cities, including Salt Lake City, Sandy, South Jordan and Taylorsville, who have been financially impacted by Covid-19, can apply for a grant to cover up to $5,000 in mortgage payments. For more information, go to https://www.cdcutah.org/covid-assistance or call 801-994-7222.

Other Financial Assistance

Department of Workforce Services (DWS): There are many benefit programs to help people affected by Covid-19, including unemployment benefits, food stamps, medical coverage, childcare, financial and HEAT assistance. Visit the Department of Workforce Services’ website for more information, https://jobs.utah.gov/covid19/index.html or call 801-526-WORK (9675). PLEASE NOTE: Utah Legal Services can assist clients with applying for most DWS benefits, contact our intake department Monday- Friday between 9 AM and 2 PM, by calling 801-328-8891 (inside Salt Lake Co.) or 1-800-662-4245 (Outside Salt Lake Co.); you can also complete an online application by clicking here, Utah Legal Services' Online Application

Access to the Internet

Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP): The White House has announced a program to significantly improve access to high-speed internet for Americans living in poverty. The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Twenty of the leading internet service providers covering more than 80% of the U.S. population have committed to offer ACP-eligible households high-speed, high-quality internet plans for no more than $30/month. The commitments would allow ACP-eligible households to receive high-speed internet service at no cost. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

Additional information on the Affordable Connectivity Program can be found at https://www.fcc.gov/acp and at this phone number, (877) 384-2575. 

Cell Phone Service

Lifeline: You may qualify for a free or reduced-price cell phone and related service. To apply with Lifeline, go to https://www.lifelinesupport.org/. You can also call 1-800-234-9473, or email LifelineSupport@usac.org to request a paper application.



If you need help immediately or are in danger, you should call 911.

You may also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 24-hours a day at 800-799-7233.

Last updated on .

Table of Contents

    Our Partners

    Utah Legal Services is a Legal Services Corporation (LSC) grantee. We are required to notify donors that our funds may not be used in any manner inconsistent with the Legal Services Corporation Act or Section 504 of Public Law 104-134.