See All Topics
Social Security’s Representative Payee Program helps you if you are not able to take care of your monthly Social Security or SSI payments.  The program appoints someone to receive your monthly disability benefit.  This person is called a representative payee (rep payee). The rep payee must use your monthly benefit to pay your expenses each month. Why would Social Security say I need to have a rep payee? There are many reasons why Social Security say you need a rep payee.  Some reasons include mental illness, drug/alcohol issues, or cognitive issues.
An overpayment happens when Social Security decides you received more money than you were supposed to get, either in your monthly disability benefit check or your lump sum back payment.   What can cause a Social Security overpayment? There are many reasons Social Security may think you have been overpaid.  Some examples include:  

Our Partners

Utah Legal Services is a Legal Services Corporation (LSC) grantee. We are required to notify donors that our funds may not be used in any manner inconsistent with the Legal Services Corporation Act or Section 504 of Public Law 104-134.