Eligibility Screening Process

Apply using our Online Intake System!

The most important thing is to call us as soon as you recognize that you have a legal problem. We do all new client screening over the phone. We accept new client calls between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

We use an "automated attendant" telephone system to route our calls. You’ll first hear our address and then be given a choice to hear additional menu items in English or Spanish.

If you have not contacted us before about your current legal problem, press the number "one" on your telephone keypad. (If you’re using a phone without pushbuttons, just stay on the line and your call will be answered by our receptionist.)

After you press "one", you’ll hear a message about what will happen during the intake process and how to file a complaint if you believe you were not treated properly. There may be a wait before you can speak with someone, perhaps as long as 20 minutes if you call during the busiest times (often on a Tuesday morning after a Monday holiday). Your wait will likely be shortest if you call in the afternoon and in the middle of the week.

The first person you will speak with will be an intake worker who will ask you for basic information such as your full name, your date of birth, zip code, and the opposing party’s name. This information is necessary for us to determine whether there is any reason we cannot help you because, for instance, we have already assisted your opposing party on a similar matter.

Next, the intake worker will ask for your address, telephone numbers where you can be reached, and information about your household’s income. Your household includes everyone living with you. Household income includes what every member of your household receives in a typical month.

Once you provide this information, the intake worker will ask about your legal problem.

Based upon all the information you give us, the intake worker may tell you that we cannot assist you with your problem because your income is too high or because we do not provide help with the type of problem you have. The intake worker might give you a referral to another organization.

The intake worker may also transfer your call to an attorney or specialized paralegal in our office. Some problems can be resolved over the telephone. In urgent circumstances, you may be asked to come into the ULS office nearest you. For example, this will happen if you are being evicted and you must respond to a summons within the next few days. In that case, we will want to review the papers and the circumstances to determine if you have any defense.

We have offices in Ogden, Salt Lake, Provo, and St. George.

Other information available:

. . . represented "Laura."  "Laura" had previously experienced domestic violence from her husband but had returned to the relationship. During the early part of the summer, her husband told her he was going to kill her. She didn’t feel he was serious, as he has said things like this before without acting. 

"Laura" came home from work and was about to start dinner when her husband, his sister, and another friend showed up. Her husband started yelling at her and began physically assaulting her brother. "Laura" left the house using the back door.  She got into her vehicle and left and went to a friend’s house.  About thirty minutes later, her husband showed up at the house.

He came into the friend's house without knocking and started pushing people around who were present in the home. He demanded to know where his wife was; "Laura" was hiding in the closet but managed to get out again and ran over to her mother’s house to call the police.

It was there that he finally caught up with her and beat her; he had a gun and put it to her head. He also had a knife and told her he was going to shoot her and then cut her up. The police came in time to arrest him. "Laura" was transported to Duchesne County Hospital with severe injuries.

Utah Legal Services assisted "Laura" in requesting a protective order. A protective order was then filed and granted. The FBI came in and transported the opposing party to a federal facility, where he was arraigned in federal court and is still awaiting trial.